Better for your environment and your budgets
Reduced Running Costs and Capital Costs
We lead the field in the technological advancement of Cooling Data centres using low energy solutions, our Evaporative cooling systems use less than 10% of the electricity used by conventional Computer Room Air Conditioning units (CRAC’s), but still maintain ASHRAE compliant environments within the Data Centres, providing efficient server room cooling.
In a typical Data centre requiring 150KW of year round cooling, we can supply and install a cooling system providing the required N+1 of resilience for less than 70% of the capital cost of installing a conventional refrigeration based CRAC system.
However, the real benefit when server room cooling with EcoCooling is in the annual running costs, as these will be in the region of £35,000.00 per annum less with Celsius Evaporative cooling than CRAC’s and saving over 270 tonnes of carbon per annum – a truly massive saving year after year.
Salix Funding for Cooling Data Centres
Due to the extremely green credentials of the EcoCooling they qualify for Interest Free Salix funding for Public Sector organisations when server room cooling.
When cooling Data centres we often find that our systems can have a ‘pay back period’ of less than a year when compared to some inefficient CRAC systems that some customers have.
We have a unique Carbon Trust approved software package that we can use to estimate the savings that you can achieve when cooling server rooms both in terms of cost and also Tonnes of carbon saved. This service is provided totally free of charge to you.
Celsius EcoCooling Efficient Performance when Cooling Data Centres
The performance of a traditional refrigeration based CRAC system varies according to the design and the utilisation. A CRAC uses electricity for the refrigeration circuit, the air distribution fan, the condenser fan and a small amount for the control systems.
The most efficient CRACs, with variable speed fans and the facility for free cooling will have a Coefficient of Performance (CoP) of 3.7. This means that 3.7kW of cooling will be produced for every 1kW of electricity consumed. This does not include the cost of humidification. An EcoCooler CREC consumes 1.5kW of electricity to support a load of 35kW. This is equivalent to a CoP of 23.8 giving a saving of 85% when cooling server rooms.
In practice most CRACs when cooling data centres are not fitted with the energy saving options and have a CoP of 2. In many cases this is not achieved and the true operating COP is closer to 1 meaning that the same amount of energy is put into the cooling system as is taken by the IT equipment.
The table below shows the typical savings for a 100kW server room using various cooling solutions based on 8p/kWhr and 0.53702 kg/CO2 per kWhr.
|EcoCooler||CRAC with free cooling||Standard CRAC||Typical CRAC|
|Power Consumed (kW)||4.2||27.0||50.0||100.0|
|Annual Electricity Use )kWhr)||36,792||236,757||438,000||876,000|
|Electricity Saving (kWhr)||n/a||199,965||401,208||839,208|
|Electricity Cost Saving||n/a||£15,997||£32,097||£67,137|
|Carbon Saving (Tonnes)||n/a||107||215||450|
Note that the water usage would be approximately 160 cubic meters per year for a 100kW EcoCooling CREC system.
What is PUE Power Usage Efficiency?
PUE is a common measure of the efficiency of a data centre. It is the ratio of the total data centre power and that used by the IT equipment. The lower the PUE the better the efficiency EcoCooling CRECs can regulary achieve PUEs of less than 1.1.
What happens if my data centre is under populated ‘ how will this affect the PUE ? The CREC system can produce PUE’s of less than 1.1 even for partly populated data centres
Where can CRECs be used and do I have to get rid of my existing fridge kit?
CRECs can be easily retrofitted into existing data centres or installed as part of a new build. They can be fitted both external to the building and within plant rooms. Existing fridge kit can be kept and used as a backup system when cooling data centres. See examples of Data Center Installations.
1. EcoCooling evaporative coolers are externally fixed (or internally fitted within a plant room using a louver to allow fresh air in).
2. Modular systems provide simple compliance with tiered redundancy levels for cooling server rooms.
3. Existing CRAC systems can be retained for cooling data centres.
4. Air is supplied to the underside of the raised floor or directly into the cold aisle for server room cooling.
5. Standby generators only have to support 10% of the electricity consumption of the CRAC systems.
6. UPS rooms are cooled with simple ventilation systems utilising evaporative cooling.
7. EcoCoolers are linked to all fire systems for controlled shutdowns.
8. Typical roof mounted EcoCooler.
How is Air Quality Maintained?
Local air quality and internal standards are carefully considered during the design process. In areas where the air is very contaminated great care should be taken before using any fresh air system. EcoCooling has developed a range of installation solutions to provide prefiltering and EU5 standard final filtration when cooling data centres
Comparison with Air Conditioning
The key benefits of using EcoCoolers compared with conventional refrigeration based air conditioning are:
– Over 90% reduction in electricity usage
– Lower capital costs
– Lower maintenance costs
– EcoCoolers qualify for Salix schemes.
– Energy use is typically 3% of installed capacity
– Low cost spare parts holding
– Can provide ASHRAE and manufacturing compliant conditions
– Uses low energy axial fan technology
– Dynamic control of air supply temperature creates 100% ASHRAE RH Compliance
– No F gas compliance costs
– Simple technology
– Ability to cope with very hot days
– Allows release of available power for other activities
– Hot and cold aisle arrangements are ideal for EcoCooling systems
– External access for maintenance.
– No internal space used
– Modular system achieves required redundancy
– Simple expansion through modular design
– No refrigerants
– Less than 10% of the carbon footprint of conventional air conditioning
Can fit into Carbon Reduction Commitment energy
Call us today on 01926 887470 for a no obligation quote.