We have installed the biggest single evaporative cooling system in a factory in the UK for Premier Foods and also the biggest evaporative cooling system in an office in Europe for Bristol Council.
Evaporative cooling is the low cost environmentally friendly alternative to costly air conditioning.
HOW EVAPORATIVE COOLING WORKS
Evaporative cooling units introduce fresh ambient air through externally mounted pads, these also filter the incoming air to maintain high hygiene standards throughout the area. The effect of drawing the air through the pads changes the energy (heat) in the airstream thus reducing the actual dry bulb temperature of the air.
The following chart illustrate the typical reductions that can be achieved, as the performance of the evaporative cooling units is dependant upon external humidity levels. Typically in peak summer months daytime humidity levels are around 30 to 35%, therefore, giving a reduction of around 8-10Co, although this could be even higher if humidity levels dropped.
Running costs for evaporative cooling are a fraction of air conditioning running costs typically a 1.5KW motor provides over 40KW of cooling, compared to over 15KW of electricity for conventional air conditioning to generate the same amount of cooling. The following chart illustrates the cooling potential of the system based upon certain external humidity conditions.
The Celsius fresh air system can also be used during the winter months without the chiller section to continue introducing fresh air to low level.
The below illustration shows how the roofmounted evaporative cooler works, this would be fitted directly above internal ducting, thus providing cooler air at low level.
Each evaporative cooler will have a variable speed control system, allowing personnel to operate the system to suit their own comfort parameters, as well as ensuring that the airflow does not impede the production process or comfort of customers of staff. It should be understood that evaporative cooling is not the same as conventional air conditioning.
BENEFITS OF EVAPORATIVE COOLING OVER AIR CONDITIONING
- Environmentally friendly – uses no CFC’s or refrigerant gasses
- Introduces 100% fresh filtered air into the area, thus improving hygiene levels
- Doors and windows can stay open and allow the building to breath.
- Maintains some moisture in the area, whereas, conventional air conditioning tends to dry the air, often leading to problems with dry eyes and sore throats
- Cost effective to operate, considerably cheaper to run than conventional air conditioning
- Reduces static electricity within the area
- Reduces fumes and particles in suspension and odours
- Simple, flexible and variable low level control system.
Celsius Design Ltd have supplied and installed Evaporative Cooling Systems for the following, as well as many others:
- Premier Foods Limited – click here to see case study
- McCains Foods Limited
- Marmite Limited
- Bristol Council – click here to see case study
- Shire Pies Limited – click here to see case study
- Warwickshire Council – click here to see case study
- Cummins Diesel Engines Ltd – click here to see case study
- Nisa Stores Warehouse
Celsius have been installing evaporative cooling in industrial buildings for years, however, in the past couple of years we have been more involved in:
Retail – We have installed 14 systems for Farmfoods stores at various stores throughout the UK, instead of using conventional split system air conditioning. This has saved them thousands of pounds in running costs and thousands of tonnes in carbon emissions.
- Northern Automotive Ltd
- Open University Ltd
- Farmfood Stores – click here to see case study
- National Health Service – click here to see case study
Data Centres – Data centres have a 24/7 cooling load requirement, again making them perfect for Evaporative cooling, we have installed several systems and they have worked brilliantly. Due to the constant internal heatloads the potential for saving both money and thousands of tonnes of carbon are massive. Please refer to our specialise website www.datacentrecooling.net which is devoted to this area of our business, this website gives you plenty of information and help in designing a cooling system for your Data Centre.
Schools – Again, with Evaporative cooling being far more economic to run than air conditioning and also providing perfect CO2 levels in the classroom it makes them perfect for this sector.
Leisure Industry – We have installed several systems in Gyms, Spinning Rooms and aerobics studios. These provide comfortable, cool, fresh conditions with reduced odours, as we’re introducing fresh air and not recirculating the stale internal air over a chiller battery, as happens with air conditioning.